Due to expensive housing, most Canadians live an average of about 40 KM from work. Getting to work is truly a challenge especially during the cold stormy winter months.
Taking public transportation is great and readily available everywhere which makes it so much easier to get to work, so I do that, I take 2 trains and it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to work.
You do the math, 1.25 h * 2 times a day * 5 days = 12.5 hours a week. Just to get to work.
Although I do enjoy those 12.5 hours reading, time otherwise I don’t have, I would rather be doing something else instead.
With the advance in technology there is no longer a need to be physically at work to be productive which brings me to what I think would be the BEST solution to this problem.
What most Canadian companies should do is what is called office sharing . Two employees share a desk where they do not have to come in to work everyday, they come in 2-3 times a week and work from home the rest of the week. The desk is shared with someone who comes in on the alternate days.
Think about it.
– Saves money on rent and utilities since they have to rent half the space.
– Consuming less energy.
– Making more revenue because they are cutting the above costs
– Helping the environment by reducing energy consumption. It’s amazing to just learn how much energy is consumed and spent to run a business.
– Are not driving/taking Public transportation to work which reduces green house emissions
– Save money by not having to spend it on public transportation, gas and parking.
– Have better quality of life by not having to spend so much time traveling to work
– Family unit is happier because the stress of getting to work is relieved thus the employee is happier thus the employee is more productive.
I could go on and on about the benefits of this.
I think this should be implemented where it can be. Some agencies are already doing it and I think eventually most companies should.
What ideas do you have to reduce climate change? Blog about it because today is “Blog Action Day” and it’s all about climate change.